Re: Making the RMS resolution a Secret Ballot

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 10:59:16AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> * A secret ballot, while contrary to the constitution for GRs, is not
>   wholly irregular for the project.  We use one every year for the DPL
>   election and the tradeoffs are well-understood.  This vote poses an
>   additional challenge because we haven't been using the verification
>   method we use for DPL votes from the start of the vote, but I don't
>   think this is a serious enough issue to be decisive.  At worst, we are
>   extending one-time trust to the Project Secretary that he will
>   accurately count the votes without normal verification processes in this
>   one unusual circumstance, and then will immediately return to regular
>   order to discuss how to handle this going forward.

I fear that devotee will break in various ways changing from
a non-secret to a secret in the middle of a vote. But I could
remove all processing of the results so far, and then reprocess
all the received emails. This would result in getting a new
acknowledgement (or error) mail.

Kurt