Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

Le mercredi 31 mars 2021 à 09:12:24+1100, Dmitry Smirnov a écrit :
> On Wednesday, 24 March 2021 11:38:25 PM AEDT Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > Freedom of speech does *not* mean freedom from consequences.
>
> Here is a good reply to this very statement:
>
> ~~~
> "Freedom of speech is supposed to imply freedom from quite a wide range
> of possible consequences; mostly consequences like fines or incarceration,
> but the spirit of it applies more broadly than that. If I were to say that
> [whoever] is free to speak, but I wouldn’t guarantee there would be no
> consequences for that speech, wouldn’t it be fair to interpret my words
> as a veiled threat?
>
> The only valid “consequences” for an act of free speech is a solid rebuttal.
>
> If you think otherwise, then I suggest that you haven’t quite grasped the
> point of the concept, or that you simply have tyrannical tendencies
> (as many do).
> ~~~
>
> Taken from the following conversation:

Freedom of speech is one of the theoretically most beautiful ideas
Humans ever created. So is Communism.

The thing is, as soon as there are humans in the equation, both these
ideas become a huge truckload of mess, violence, hatred and sorrow.

Trying to grab it as a cane in all discussions is to me a proof of lack
of sensible arguments.

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2