Re: Draft GR for resolution process changes

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [2021-11-11 08:26]:
Once a proposal has been sponsored and added to the ballot, we, as a
general social convention, stop sponsoring it unless it feels particularly
important to be listed as a sponsor.  That means that any given option
currently on the ballot usually has "hidden" support in the form of
Developers who intend to vote for it but haven't sponsored it.  It seems
likely that in some situations those Developers may think "okay, the
opinion I really cared about is on the ballot so I can vote the way I
want" and then may tune out the subsequent discussion.

In other words, I think once a ballot option makes it onto the ballot, the
rules are attempting to capture the sense that it no longer belongs just
to its proposer, but now represents some unknown number of people who want
to vote for it.

Given that, if the proposer changes their mind and wants to propose a
substantially different ballot option, I think the default should be that
the proposer do that as a separate ballot option and get sponsors for that
new ballot option (and possibly withdraw as the proposer for the original
ballot option).  This reflects the fact that just because the proposer
changed their mind, that doesn't mean that other supporters of that ballot
option also changed their minds.

As Sam says, the ability to make substantive changes if all sponsors agree
is essentially an optimization.  It's tedious to propose a new option,
have everyone sponsor it again, withdraw as proposer of the old option,
and confirm that no one else is stepping forward, so for changes that
everyone agrees make the ballot option better, we should have a way to
allow those to be made more easily.  But we want some sort of check that
this is really true and not just take the proposer's word for it, so we in
essence draft the sponsors of the ballot option as referees to decide
whether this change does make sense in the context in which they
originally supported that option.
I must say I find your reasoning convincing. A certain stability of
ballot options is desirable, and as our voting scheme does not
suffer from spoiler effects, we can afford to keep the odd stale
option. Besides, as you pointed out, the original proposer can
always formally withdraw and ask their sponsors to do the same; if
there is hidden support, it will either materialize or the option
will be discarded; no additional procedural rules required.

Cheers
Timo

--
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁   │ Timo Röhling                                       │