Re: Renaming the FTP Masters

Hi Felix,

* Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> [2021-11-03 14:27]:
I would like to rename the FTP Masters team—ideally via a General Resolution.

[...]

PROPOSED TEXT

In recognizance of the awful history of slavery, the Debian project
will rename the "FTP Masters" team. For a long time, the word "master"
has been associated with the grave injustices of slavery. [1]

While there is a tradition in computing to label primary equipment as
a "master" and replicated equipment as "slaves" [2] the use of the
word "masters" for a group of people with special privileges [3]
shocks the conscience.

Within that context, the team's use of the title "wizard" [4] was also
problematic. The Ku Klux Klan and its spinoffs used the title "wizard"
to style high officials. [5] The team will likewise discontinue the
use of the term "wizard" to designate any current or former members.

Nothing in this resolution shall impair the continued use of the
"master/slave" analogy for technical equipment.

   "Without a struggle, there can be no progress." (Frederick Douglass)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)
[3] "The FTP masters can do everything in the archive.",
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/FTPMaster
[4] "The FTP Wizard role consists of former team members",
https://ftp-master.debian.org/
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

I'm not going to repeat Karsten's arguments; I agree with him that
our usage of master is not associated with slavery in such a way
that we absolutely need to abandon the word. Neither is wizard
(unless anyone insists on "Grand Wizard" as title).

While I also agree with Paul that the current name is somewhat dated
technologically, it is not fatally flawed. Therefore, I think we
should leave the naming decision to the FTP masters themselves.

I am fine with any name on which the FTP masters and the DPL can
agree, including the current one. I would also happily ratify their
choice via GR if they felt that the whole project should have a say.
What I do not want is force a GR decision upon them.

Cheers
Timo

--
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁   │ Timo Röhling                                       │