Re: Draft proposal for resolution process changes

"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 06:51:05PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> 4. The Project Leader has a casting vote. There is a quorum of 3Q. The
>>    default option is "None of the above."

> Should this be, "unless specified elsewhere"?

I think I confused matters by how I showed the changes.  This section is
specifically about GRs by the Developers.  In that situation, the default
option is always "None of the above."

>> 6.3. Procedure
>>
>> 1. Resolution process.
>>
>>    The Technical Committee uses the following process to prepare a
>>    resolution for vote:
>>
>>    1. Any member of the Technical Committee may propose a resolution.
>>       This creates an initial two-option ballot, the other option being
>>       the default option of "Further discussion." The proposer of the
>>       resolution becomes the proposer of the ballot option.

> Here the default option is "Further discussion" as opposed to "none of
> the above".  Is this intentional, or was this a historical artifact?

This was intentional.  I think that the default option for the TC is
different than that for a GR because the TC have a project obligation to
attempt to arrive at a decision, whereas it is more common for the
Developers in a GR to decide they don't want to say anything at all.

That said, I don't feel strongly about it.

> Also, as stated here in 6.3.1.1, it appears that any member of the TC
> may propose a resolution... on any subject they want?  I'm guessing the
> unstated presumption is this is related to a subject under discussion by
> the TC.  Should this be stated explicitly?

I can if folks feel the need, but I think it's fairly obvious in context
that this is constrained by the 6.1 Powers section slightly above this
section.  (For whatever it's worth, this is also not a change; the
existing text just says "A draft resolution or amendment may be proposed
by any member of the Technical Committee.")