Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result

Le lundi 19 avril 2021 à 12:46:38-0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> "Barak A. Pearlmutter" <barak@pearlmutter.net> writes:
>
> > Sam, you make an excellent point about gaps between options, and that
> > a ranking does not show the strength of preferences. Like, I might
> > prefer ALPHA >>> BETA > GAMMA while you prefer ALPHA > BETA >>> GAMMA.
> > So if it's down to ALPHA vs BETA, my vote should shift things  more
> > than yours, while if it's down to BETA vs GAMMA, your vote should
> > shift things more than mine. And if we do sorta-maybe try to encode
> > this with where FD is in the ranking, it does not actually have this
> > effect.
>
> > If we wanted to encode this information more fully, we would have to
> > go with some system where people give numeric strengths to each gap in
> > their preferences. And to avoid people just pegging them all to
> > maximum strength, we'd have to put a limit on the total strength in a
> > single ballot.
>
> I think it's worth observing that this discussion started with "our voting
> system is too complicated and I think some people are making nonsense
> votes because of it" and has now arrived at "we should make our voting
> system considerably more complicated to improve its expressive power."
>
> This all seems extremely speculative.  Is there some GR whose result you
> think did not accurately represent the correct outcome given the
> preferences of the people who voted?  Precisely what problem are you
> trying to solve here?

I think we are good ad nitpicking and this is some of it. :p

(more seriously, I think our system does quite correclty what it is
designed to do)

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2