Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 06:58:49PM +0100, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> If the winning option in an election is part of a preference cycle,
> then it (by definition) has the property that there exists some other
> option that a majority of the voters preferred. In some elections that
> is unavoidable: we need to pick one DPL, and if they're in a cycle so
> be it; if there's a tie we can just toss a coin. But in others, like
> the RMS GR, it seems like it would be a rather bad property and we'd
> be better off treating it as FD and trying again later.

For info, we use cloneproof Schwartz sequential dropping to resolve
these ties. The simple version is that we work out the cycle, and then
drop the lowest margin, in this case the 1, so "Debian will not issue a
pubilc statement" would still win.

A full description is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

Neil