Re: Making the RMS resolution a Secret Ballot

Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Pierre-Elliott Bécue [2021-04-10 18:16 +0200]:
>> After a careful thinking, I agree with Elena's opinion and would rather
>> not make the vote private while it already has started.
>
> Ulrike Uhlig [2021-04-10 18:20 +0200]:
>> On 10.04.21 15:33, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>> > Le vendredi, 9 avril 2021, 19.12:26 h CEST Sam Hartman a écrit :
>>
>> > I don't think changing our 25+ years worth of GR practice (and GR tradition)
>> > *right in the middle of a vote* will do any good; not internally, and not
>> Reading Odyx' arguments on keeping the ballot public makes a lot of sense to
>> me though and I'm now in favor of keeping the usual decision making
>> processes intact, and to change the constitution later in time - if the
>> project wishes to do so.
>
> Thanks to the three of you -- very carefully and reasonably worded. As someone
> who initially also prefered a secret vote [1] (although that was *before*
> voting started), I find this entirely convincing.

One tiny extra point that I find in favour of making the votes public
(at least to other DDs) is that I think it provides the chance for one
to track down a friend who's opinion one generally trusts, who happens
to hold an opposing view on the question in hand.

In the past I've found doing this to be a good way of avoiding falling
into the trap of assuming all those on the other side of an argument are
simply mistaken about it.

Occasionally I've bothered to ask how they arrived at their opinion, but
generally I find that simply knowing the fact of their vote is enough.

Despite our community being quite diverse in many ways, I'd say the
things that unite us are much more important than the things that divide
us, and having a chance to realise that people you like and trust happen
to have come to differing conclusions when presented with the same facts
is a welcome reminder that reasonable people can differ on such matters
simply because they assign those facts differing weights, rather falling
for the temptation to think that they are evil or stupid.

Cheers, Phil.