Re: Re: What does FD Mean

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:

> There are 2 ways the FD option has an effect on the result.

> The first option is the quorum requirement. For a GR the quorum is
> 3*Q, which is around 47 for this vote. 3*Q people need to put the
> option above FD to meet the quorum, or the option is dropped.

> But the reason for yes/no is the majority requirement. In this GR
> all options have a majority ratio of 1. This means more people
> need to put the option above of FD than people who put the option
> below FD, or the option gets dropped.

> Note that you can rank the option the same as FD, which is neither
> yes nor no. So it's more than 50% of those votes that voted yes or
> no for that option that need to vote yes for the option to be
> considered.

> There are also 2:1 and 3:1 majority requirements, which you could
> translate as 66.6% and 75% need to say yes.

That is all true: we have a yes/no majority/quorum mechanisms combined
with a Condorcet system.
This Frankenscheme actually creates some interesting extra pathologies
for the Debian voting system, beyond those you get from plain
Condorcet.

Let's say a cohort of voters prefers option APRICOT to option BANANA,
but would like neither (FD) even better. However they are well aware
that there's no way FD will win.

It is possible that if they vote their true preference,

FD > APRICOT > BANANA

then BANANA will win, while if they vote

APRICOT > FD > BANANA

then APRICOT will win, due to majority/quorum issues. In other words,
they are penalized for voting honestly.

This is unrelated to the current vote (maybe?) but if a DPL candidate
would put "get a committee together to investigate whether the Debian
voting system and related processes could be significantly improved"
I'd consider that a big plus.

Cheers,

--Barak.