Re: Cancel "culture" is a threat to Debian

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 01:58:49PM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> Le jeudi 01 avril 2021 à 12:11:18+0100, Steve McIntyre a écrit :

> > >Actually we could ask you to be banned from Debian lists, but here I
> > >assume it was merely a request.
> >
> > Nod, that's exactly what it was. Maybe polite requests aren't
> > effective enough for some people.
>
> Some people tend to only see coercion when one asks them something
> strongly.
>
> I guess it's because they are keen on having conflicts and fights
> instead of trying to remain on a civilized terrain.

So, then is everybody always wrong?

Participants on Debian mailing lists calling for civility have been
accused of sealioning [0] (or similar bad-faith) not that long ago.

Either: (a) everybody is expected to remain civil and act accordingly,
or, (b) everybody is allowed to escalate according to their own view of
the situation or their own personal feelings (e.g., frustration,
perceived opression, etc.).

The situation where some are allowed or even encouraged to escalate
because they are expressing a "favored" or "right" opinion and others
are specifically targeted and decried for escalating (or even simply
calling for civility) because they are expressing a "disfavored" or
"wrong" opinion is a literal double-standard.  We should be above that.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

--