Re: Q to all candidates: NEW queue

On 27/03/20 at 08:18 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri 27 Mar 2020 at 09:39AM +01, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
>
> > My point was to ask if there are any points in this list that could be
> > harmful in the scenario proposed by Lucas.
>
> We try to stop packages of sufficiently low quality entering the archive
> at all, so that other contributors don't have to deal with understanding
> what's going on with those low quality packages when trying to fix other
> stuff.
>
> I would say that Lucas' proposal would not be able to achieve that.

That's true, however, I think that the question is whether we value this
filter so much that we agree that it's OK to cause a delay of weeks or
months for good-quality packages to enter unstable.

My personal opinion is that I would rather have no delay or a much
smaller delay before the package gets accepted in 'unstable', and then
deal with quality issues the way we deal with them for other packages,
by detecting them using QA checks, and by filing (RC) bugs
appropriately.

It's true that low-quality packages in unstable are annoying when doing
QA work, but on the other hand, it's quite easy to ignore them by
looking only at packages that are also in testing (that's what I do for
archive rebuilds, where I ignore packages in unstable when I don't have
much time; and I think I stole that idea from someone else, so others
have been doing it too).

We already have 365 packages in unstable whose last appearance in
testing was before the buster release, and among those, 81 which were
last in testing before the stretch release. So this problem of
low-quality packages in unstable-only needs to be dealt with anyway.

Lucas