Re: DPL blindsides

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

>     Teemu> Would you, in a situation like this, commit to providing the
>     Teemu> information before becoming DPL in order to avoid a conflict
>     Teemu> of interest?
>
> What is the conflict of interest you see here?

The description of Jonathan Carter's (highvoltage) role in the event
planning team in the wiki page
<https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf17/TeamRoles> says "Does
whatever needs doing:" and "kicking the chief organiser".

In
(<1501234967.2211370.1055405832.1D2D7A4A@webmail.messagingengine.com>
message not available in public), by a previous DPL to the event
planning team, including Jonathan Carter, the email noted that by
actively not answering or responding, a particular sequence of events
was being forced. To the best of my knowledge, the event planning
team, including Jonathan Carter, has not responded to this request by
a previous DPL.

The position of DPL, while not providing significant direct power,
provides significant influence, including the power to appoint people
who would be responsible for investigating any wrongdoing by the
DPL. The DPL can use the appointment power to influence investigations
into themselves - hence the conflict of interest.

The conflict of interest can be reduced, although not completely
removed, by committing to handing over *all* of the information, and
complying with requests from previous DPLs to respond, prior to taking
office as DPL.

The question to Jonathan Carter, which has still not been answered,
(~2 weeks later) is whether they can agree to hand over information
before taking office as DPL.