Re: What are your thoughts on discourse?

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 9:28:21 AM EDT Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Hi Raphaël
>
> On 2020/03/18 12:00, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > I would like all the candidates to reply to this question on discourse:
> > https://discourse.debian.net/t/dear-dpl-candidates-what-are-your-thoughts-> > on-discourse/75
> Done.
>
> > The kind of discussions that we have in debian-vote is very much suited
> > for something like discourse where we can +1 with like, etc.
> >
> > I would encourage others DD asking questions to try to use discourse and
> > just use the mail to inform of the discussion started on discourse.
>
> As I said on the post, I think it's better to keep questions to the DPL
> candidates on this list, rather than test Discourse for DPL Q&As midway
> through a DPL election.
>
> And I also forgot to mention, nice initiative I do think that it has
> potential.

Thanks for keeping the focus here.

I've used discourse to attempt communication with Python upstream, which uses
it.  It worked OK for a specific topic that I joined to focus on and discuss,
but as a general discussion medium, like every single web thing I've tried, I
think it's hopeless.

This is a free project, so people can talk wherever they want, but people are
going to be left behind.

Scott K