Option G update [signed] (was Re: Proposal: Reaffirm our commitment to support portability and multiple implementations)

[ Sorry, resending signed this time around. :/ ]

Hi!

Ok, so here's what I'd like (or would have liked) to get into the ballot,
given the new context after the addition of the combined D+G option. But
it's not very clear to me whether this will be acceptable or not to the
Secretary, and what would be the actual procedure to replace the existing
option G with this one (as long as enough of the original sponsors are
fine with it), as I've found the way the procedure was applied/interpreted
to be rather confusing or perhaps not matching my memory of previous
instances.

The changes to the original G are:
 - Addition of Principles section title.
 - s/tradeoffs/trade-offs/g.
 - Addition of Guidance section.

I'm CCing all the previous sponsors explicitly, just in case.

----X<----
Title: Reaffirm our commitment to support portability and multiple implementations

Principles
~~~~~~~~~~

The Debian project reaffirms its commitment to be the glue that binds
and integrates different software that provides similar or equivalent
functionality, with their various users, be them humans or other software,
which is one of the core defining traits of a distribution.

We consider portability to different hardware platforms and software
stacks an important aspect of the work we do as a distribution, which
makes software architecturally better, more robust and more future-proof.

We acknowledge that different upstream projects have different views on
software development, use cases, portability and technology in general.
And that users of these projects weight trade-offs differently, and have
at the same time different and valid requirements and/or needs fulfilled
by these diverse views.

Following our historic tradition, we will welcome the integration of
these diverse technologies which might sometimes have conflicting
world-views, to allow them to coexist in harmony within our distribution,
by reconciling these conflicts via technical means, as long as there
are people willing to put in the effort.

This enables us to keep serving a wide range of usages of our distribution
(some of which might be even unforeseen by us). From servers, to desktops
or deeply embedded; from general purpose to very specifically tailored
usages. Be those projects hardware related or software based, libraries,
daemons, entire desktop environments, or other parts of the software
stack.

Guidance
~~~~~~~~

In the same way Debian maintainers are somewhat constrained by the
decisions and direction emerging from their respective upstreams,
the Debian distribution is also somewhat constrained by its volunteer
based nature, which has as another of its core defining traits, not
willing to impose work obligations to its members, while at the same
time being limited by its members bounded interests, motivation, energy
and time.

Because of these previous constraints, trying to provide guidance in
a very detailed way to apply the aforementioned principles, is never
going to be satisfactory, as it will end up being inexorably a rigid
and non-exhaustive list of directives that cannot possibly ever cover
most scenarios, which can perpetuate possible current tensions.

These will always keep involving case by case trade-offs between what
changes or requests upstreams might or might not accept, or the upkeep
on the imposed deltas or implementations the Debian members might need
to carry on. Which can never be quantified and listed in a generic and
universal way.

We will also keep in mind that what might be considered important for
someone, might at the same time be considered niche or an uninteresting
diversion of time for someone else, but that we might end up being on
either side of the fence when sending or receiving these requests.

We will be guided, as we have been in many other Debian contexts in the
past, by taking all the above into account, and discussing and evaluating
each situation, and respecting and valuing that we all have different
interests and motivations. That is in our general interest to try to
work things out with others, to compromise, to reach solutions or find
alternatives that might be satisfactory enough for the various parties
involved, to create an environment where we will collectively try to
reciprocate. And in the end and in most cases it's perhaps a matter of
just being willing to try.

Thanks,
Guillem