Re: Proposal: General Resolution on Init Systems and systemd Facilities

Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

> It's mostly that it pushes systemd preference a bit more than my
> preference, mostly because the short text also reads "Focus on systemd
> for [...] other facilities", but I have no preference for systemd over
> other implementations for "other facilities".

> I see value in cross-distribution collaboration which might be an
> advantage of solutions developed under the systemd umbrella, but that's
> not inherent so: it's the same for any other non-Debian specific
> implementation.

> Debian-specific solutions of course are also still fine if we believe
> these to be the best fit to our needs.

Yeah, this is all a good point.  I *think* it would work out the same in
practice, but there's definitely a good argument to be made for toning it
down a little to better reflect what I think the viewpoint is of systemd
proponents.  I think the median view of that perspective is closer to
yours (use the things that make sense taking into account
cross-distribution compatibility and other advantages) than to "prefer
systemd across the board."