Re: [draft] Draft text on Init Systems GR

Joshua Hudson <joshudson@gmail.com> writes:

> The debate on systemd often turns into systemd vs. sysvinit because
> sysvinit is the working alternative right now. Unfortunately, this is a
> poor way to frame the debate. The reality is sytemd unit files are a
> really good idea, but systemd's hardware detection leaves much to be
> desired.

> You're going to get stuck with a lot of debates and really stupid
> support issues if you try to force systemd, because the hardware
> detection frequently outsmarts itself.

systemd has been the default init system in Debian for two releases now.
I think that water went under the bridge a long time ago, and we're
already getting whatever support issues we were going to get.

Support issues are primarily driven by the default init system, and we're
not reconsidering that in this discussion.

Also, there currently is no alternative init system that supports systemd
units that I know of.  The supported init systems in Debian right now are
systemd, sysvinit, runit, and OpenRC.  I think we should focus on making
sure any decisions make sense for them, or deciding that we're not willing
to continue to support them.  That means focusing on init script support.