Re: Proposal: General Resolution on Init Systems and systemd Facilities

On November 14, 2019 8:08:28 PM UTC, Sam Hartman <leader@debian.org> wrote:

>I'd like to propose the following resolution.
>
>Seconds are not required, but it would be valuable to get confirmation
>that the three choices contained in this proposal are worth having on
>the ballot.
>So, rather than seconding the proposal it would be useful if people
>would ack choices here they'd like to see on the ballot.
>
>Amendments will require seconds as usual.
>
>Timeline: I think that two weeks for discussion of this GR seems about
>right based on what's happened in the last week.  The constitution
>allows the DPL to change the discussion period by up to a week.  The
>discussion period is normally reset by the proposer accepting any
>amendment or making a modification to the proposal.  If an amendment is
>accepted, I am likely to use that power such that the discussion period
>is the longer of two weeks from when the secretary sends mail to
>debian-devel-announce, or seven days past the time of the last
>amendment
>being accepted.  In other words, if I accept an amendment in the next
>week, I'm likely to keep the total discussion period at two weeks.
>
>That said, if it looks like we need more time, I can always lengthen
>the
>discussion period.
>I do not see any circumstances under which I'd like to shorten the
>voting period for this proposal.

>version: d429a990a09
>Changes since initial draft:
>

>* Clarify that packages may need to handle early boot in an
>init-system-specific manner in choice 1
>
>* Clean up wording around the requested policy change in choice 1
>
>* Adopt Russ's option B for choice 1 at least until we get clear
>  direction from that community.
>
>* Adopt Russ's option C for choice 2.
>
>* Adopt something similar to Russ's option D for choice 3
>
>* Add my name to choices to make life easier on the secretary as others
>get sufficient seconds.
>
>* Revise the title of choice 3 to avoid concerns that it is insulting
>  to proponents of systemd.

>Using its power under Constitution section 4.1 (5), the project issues
>the following statement describing our current position on Init
>systems, Init system diversity, and the use of systemd facilities.
>This
>statement describes the position of the project at the time it is
>adopted.  That position may evolve as time passes without the need to
>resort to future general resolutions.  The GR process remains
>available if the project needs a decision and cannot come to a
>consensus.
>
>Choice hartmans1: Affirm Init Diversity
>
>Being able to run Debian systems with init systems other than systemd
>continues to be something that the project values.  With one
>exception, the Debian Project affirms the current policy on init
>scripts and starting daemons (policy 9.3.2, 9.11).  Roughly, packages
>should include init scripts to start services that are included.
> [...]

This option makes multiple references to RC and non-RC bugs based on actions of the policy editors.

It's my understanding that determining if a bug is RC or not is a Release Team function, not the policy editors.

Would it be better to use something like 'severe policy violation' (and it's opposite) than Release Critical?

Scott K