Re: [draft] Draft text on Init Systems GR

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> That sentence does not express a preference between init scripts and
> service units: as you point out both work on systemd.

> So I think we read the same so far.

Note that we're currently discussing whether Policy will recommend
(should) that any package with a service ship a systemd service unit,
since the quality of implementation experience for systemd is generally
better.  (The systemd unit generator that supports init scripts has to
make various compromises that leads to inferior results compared to native
units.)

I don't think this matters a ton for the text, but the choice on the
Policy side (at least at the recommendation level) is likely to look more
like "include both a systemd unit and an init script" (option 1) or
"include a systemd unit, and an init script if you want" (option 3).
Including only an init script results is a worse experience for the
default init system and therefore is likely to be deprecated (although not
forbidden).

See https://bugs.debian.org/941198 for more discussion.