Re: Q to all candidates: what is the long-term role of traditional Linux distributions?

* Jose Miguel Parrella <bureado@debian.org> [2019-04-02 19:24]:
> How do you think motivations and incentives have changed, are
> changing or will change for contributors to Debian in a world where
> distros no longer mean what they used to?

If we can answer questions like those Matthew raised and figure out
what the role of a distro should be and where we can actually add
value and position ourselves in this changing world, the motivation
and incentives to contribute will return.

> If tools, policies and/or processes weren't a source of frustration
> for contributors, do you think they would still disengage from the
> project because they want to package software/be the subject matter
> expert for said software?

I think a lot of it is that we're not seen to solve exciting problems.
How can we start solving exciting problems that exist today?  It's not
as if everything has been solved.

> Do you think Debian should focus more on the derivatives as users
> rather than individual end users only? And if so, connecting to the
> first Q, how would you manage new people being attracted to the
> project and some current contributors feeling de-energized about it?

In my opinion, there's a lot of value in focusing on end-users.  While
derivatives are important for Debian, Debian itself should be
attractive for many as an OS and not just as building blocks for
other solutions.

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/