Re: Bikeshedding

Stefano Zacchiroli writes ("Re: Bikeshedding"):
> Statement: every Debian package must be maintained in Git on salsa and
> every Debian Developer with upload rights to the archive should have
> commit/push right to every packaging repository on salsa.
>
> DPL candidates: do you agree with this statement?
> If so, what will be your approach to make this a reality?

What git tree format do you mandate ?

Such an imprecation is of little use if "maintained in git on salsa"
means for some packages a giant packaging-only monorepo (like used by
some language-specific packaging teams), for some a git-debrebase or
git-dpm patches-applied tree, for some a merging git branch for use
with 1.0-with-diff, and for some a gbp pq branch.

> (I'm putting on the side, on purpose, the problem of different workflows
> that Joerg has highlighted. Not because it's not a real problem, but
> because I think it's a distraction to discussing/fixing the more
> substantial problem of access rights and package ownership.)

Another answer to this is:

The git server you are asking about already exists.  It is called
`dgit.debian.org', not `salsa.debian.org'.

It has the following properties:

 * Every package has a corresponding git view via `dgit clone';
   when the maintainer didn't dgit push, it is a .dsc import.

 * Everyone who uploads a package with `dgit push-source' etc.
   already makes it available	 via the obsolete source package archive.

 * When you push with `dgit push-source' you make your actual git
   branch available to `dgit clone'.

 * You can do that iff you can upload the same package to the obsolete
   source package archive.  Ie the access control is identical.

 * You can use gbp pq or git-debrebase or git-dpm, and your git branch
   is magically transformed into a uniform immediately-buildable view
   for everyone who consumes it via `dgit clone'.

So real answer is: everyone should consider `dgit push' and most
people should be using it.  It should be recommended in policy.

Ian.