Re: Bikeshedding

On 15359 March 1977, Russ Allbery wrote:

I agree with what you are saying here.  However, I am concerned that the
"push == automatic package upload" idea may be a step too far in some
cases.
I assume this would only happen if you push a signed tag.  I wouldn't want
every random commit I push to immediately be uploaded.

Oh yeah, definitely something with a signature need to be there for an
upload, in whichever way that upload happens. But thats one of the
technicalities that needs to be defined.

For example, for ftp-masters dak we have an own branch, deploy.
That one goes, driven by a cronscript, to all machines we run dak on.

But only if its signed by a key in a pre-defined list. And if the old
deployed stuff is an ancestor of the new one. So usual work happens in
master (or any feature branch, but then merged to master). And if one of
us is happy, we do a signed merge commit over to deploy. Some minutes
later its deployed.

--
bye, Joerg