Re: Q to Chris: measuring progress on your goals

martin f krafft wrote:

> > in my experience "embracing failure" is a very difficult mindset to truly
> > live by given how closely tied it can be to one's ego and insecurities. :(
>
> In what ways do you think leadership could make a difference here?

Whilst I was actually only speaking for myself (!), you ask a good
question. Any community can always benefit from trying new ideas or
solutions -- doing things in the way they have always done isn't
necessarily optimal and could just be boring.

A leader should also try and change the tone of the conversation when
it steers into "well, we've always done it this way..." to at least
solicit other ideas, even if they aren't attempted that time, or ever.

They can also subsequently ensure that — if it doesn't work for whatever
reason — then that doesn't result in the person being ostracised or
looked down upon by others. Lacking a fear of that, I am sure more-
spontaneous ideas will arise by themselves.

We should all be experimenting a lot more, perhaps at the expense of
throwaway solutions that don't have all the proper structure initially
in place. In my experience, insisting that experiments or demos be
"production-ready" from their initial release dampens enthusiasm far
more than intended...

Regards,

--
      ,''`.