Re: having public irc logs?

Hello,

>If you follow your way of thinking (which is wrong here, btw :) ), you
>end up requiring that every time two Developers meet and speak about

[...]

>Most of our IRC channels are public, and that's how it should be.
>However, there's a difference between "anyone can join and follow the
>conversation now", and "anyone can read me being in a bad mood and
>saying things I'll regret later for all eternity". For one thing, if you
>see me being in a bad mood and ranting aloud, you might want to ask
>what's going on, and I could realize that I'm misbehaving (as per our
>CoC). Not so with public IRC logs.

[...]

your points are clear, but still most of conversations are *useful* to people
not having an irc bouncer
e.g. I think Release Team channel is useful to know if something bad is going on,
also Ftp channel or Buildd one. e.g. I can spot the need of a give back, I can check
the log to see if it has been already requested, and then go in the channel to

request it.

Knowing that a place is logged, should prevent people from grumping (too much) or giving
inappropriate answers.

I see two scenarios:
1) now everybody thinks irc is private and privacy protected, so people are encouraged
to "say what they think without doing it in an appropriate way"
2) irc becomes publicly logged, and people starts behaving more appropriately.

You want to protect privacy but you know privacy doesn't exist on public places.

(it would be nice if some removed developer going away after some bad flame war over Debian would
publish *all* the logs just for fun)
How will you protect the privacy then?

People should be responsible for what they say, regardless where they say.
We are not kids anymore.

This is obviously a general question :)

(most of this might apply to -private mail list, but in this case join rules are clear in advance, while over irc they arent).

thanks for sharing your point of view, it has been appreciated.

Gianfranco