Re: Question for DPL candidates: Teetotaler outreach

(We're at that time of the year when I'm never sure whether to take
anything on the Internet seriously, but since this affects me personally,
I'll go ahead and post a serious response.)

Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> writes:

> first of all thanks a lot for running.

> Both of you consider outreach important.

> People not drinking alcohol are half of all adults in the world, but
> we are under-represented in free software.

I'm not sure it's possible to know that.  It's not very visible, and most
of us who don't drink don't particularly draw attention to it.

FWIW, I've never had even a moment of awkwardness around Debian or Debian
events (or, for that matter, around Silicon Valley, although I avoid
companies that seem to be more of a frat than a workplace) from not
drinking.  I usually just get something non-alcoholic or note that I don't
drink, and no one has ever cared.

There are, of course, social activities that seem primarily focused on
getting drunk together, and I skip out on those because it's not
particularly fun to be the sober person around a bunch of drunk people,
but that's not any different than skipping the marathon runs or the
bicycling or the football games or any other social activity that I don't
personally enjoy.