Re: DPL Voting period

On Sun, Apr 09, 2017 at 08:25:06PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2017 at 11:35:06AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 07:34:34PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > > We're currently in the voting period, the discussion/campaigning
> > > period is over. Can I please ask everybody to stop talking about
> > > things related to the DPL election on this list.

> > I'm not sure I understand why. Since when it is _forbidden_ to discuss
> > outside the campaign period?

> It was always my understanding that this was the case, and as far
> as I know people have always stopped discussing after the
> campaigning was over.

I think this is largely true, but it is not written into the constitution.
People's attitudes towards continued discussion on debian-vote during the
voting period are probably heavily influenced by their local laws about
campaign blackouts before elections in meatspace.

While discussion on debian-vote usually wraps up once voting starts, I don't
believe there's anything to be enforced here by the Secretary.

> I also want to compare this to other elections. As far as I know,
> as long as voting booths are open there are no interviews with
> politicians, they don't make things like exit polls available and
> so on. They only get to persuade people before the booths open.

Right, this is not a universal physical law of elections, it's only a local
law in some localities :)

And I think the closest analogue to a Debian vote is a meatspace election
that allows early or by-mail voting.  I think there's almost universally
some overlap between campaign periods and voting periods in those cases (but
ICBW).