Re: having public irc logs?

On 06/04/2017 10:44, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Hello Mehdi and Chris,
>

> Debian has a "we don't hide things" wording in his constitution.
>

> However we don't have a public irc log system, and most
>

> of the conversations between us are happening there.
>

> How do you relate to that issue? Do you see it as a problem,
>

> or do you think people should join irc to read our conversations?
>

> (channels protected by a passphrase are of course out of this question).

To be honest, I also wondered why IRC channels were not logged when I
started contributing to Debian. Later, I understood that people used
IRC to communicate like they would do in real life. As such, we will
not try to record every conversation held between two contributors.

I understand it is not easy to follow IRC channels. Many things are
said out there. Many of what is said there can be found on mailing
lists as well. You may install a permanent IRC client that would
record some targeted IRC channels' activity, as pointed out by martin.

I also agree what others have said in this thread.

--
Mehdi