Re: Amendment to Proposed GR: Declassifying parts of -private of historical interest

Although this part of the text originates from the original GR text and
not Don's amendment, my comment applies as much to the amended text so
I'm threading it here:

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 05:56:12PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> 3. In keeping with paragraph 3 of the Debian Social Contract, Debian
>    Developers are strongly encouraged to use the debian-private mailing
>    list only for discussions that should not be disclosed.

One issue I have is this amounts to a form of gagging order. Have we had
an exploration of why people sometimes choose to converse on -private,
rather than elsewhere? Such analysis (and results therefore) would of
course have to be on -private too, but I put forth the following theory
for *some* people choosing to, which I have felt myself: some discussions
on our public lists have been horribly toxic and attract participants who
are not otherwise constructive parts of our community. We are all only
human and sometimes we don't have the emotional energy to deal with that.
-private is, even if it isn't designed to be, a virtual safe space.

--
Jonathan Dowland