Re: Proposed GR: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 03:37:08PM +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> In 2005, the body of Debian Developers passed a General Resolution[1] requiring
> the creation of a declassification team for the debian-private mailing list.
> For the past ten years, the implementation of this GR has never materialized,
> despite an explicit call for volunteers[2] by the DPL in 2010.
>
> [1] https://www.debian.org/vote/2005/vote_002
> [2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/05/msg00105.html
>
> Over the years, several important discussions have happened on the
> debian-private mailing list that needed to stay private. Oftentimes, when a
> discussion has carried on for a while, some participants have reminded others
> that the discussion should be summarized in a public thread on either the
> debian-devel or the debian-project mailing lists.
>
> While we agree with the intentions behind the original GR, we believe it is now
> time to acknowledge that the declassification of debian-private will never
> happen, and that we should instead strongly encourage developers to move
> discussions to public channels as soon as the sensitivity of the discussion
> subsides.
>
> We therefore propose the following General Resolution:
>
> === BEGIN GR TEXT ===
>
> Title: Acknowledge that the debian-private list will remain private.
>
> 1. The 2005 General Resolution titled "Declassification of debian-private
>    list archives" is repealed.
> 2. In keeping with paragraph 3 of the Debian Social Contract, Debian
>    Developers are strongly encouraged to use the debian-private mailing
>    list only for discussions that should not be disclosed.
>
> === END GR TEXT ===

Seconded.

I think if this brings us back to the clean slate where people could
take selected threads and try to declassify them, that'd be a win. There
are already valuable guidelines in the text of the to be repealed GR
that could be used on an informal basis even if the GR is technically no
longer valid by then. In the worst case one could make it dependent on
all authors' consent. But I think any way agreed upon with the
listmasters (which probably should be delegates?) should be fine. And
once the GR is repealed posts that are of historic value can be
considered as well, which is good.

Kind regards and thanks
Philipp Kern