Re: [SUMMARY] Maximum term for tech ctte members

On 23/11/14 at 12:32 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:08:26PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > I think that you should propose the option you consider best; I will
> > propose 2-R, because I still have a strong preference for that option
> > compared to 2-S, 2-R' or 2.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> How about the transitional measure? I think it would be nice to have
> uniformity on those. Would you agree to drop the transitional measures,
> with the rationale that the CTTE has already have quite a bit of churn?
>
> I now think the above would be appropriate for both 2 and 2-R. To obtain
> an equivalent result with 2-S I think the transitional measure should
> retroactively trigger a review on January 1st, 2015; which will in turn
> cause expiries only on December 31st, 2015.

A transitional measure does not have any effect on 2-R anyway, due to
the recent resignations.

For "2", I agree that it would be better not to have expiries before
2016-01-01.  Note that to achieve that without a transitional measure,
the GR must pass on 2015-01-02 at the earliest; which means that the
vote must not start before 2014-12-19, and that the discussion period
must not start before 2014-12-05. It might not be worth waiting until
then, so you might want to add a transitional measure such as:

  As a transitional measure, the first automatic review of membership
  of the Technical Committee will happen on 2016-01-01.

> > However, as I am not sure if it's just me, or if there's wider support
> > for 2-R, I will ask the secretary to not automatically accept the
> > amendment (as an amendment from the DPL), but instead require it to
> > reach the usual number of sponsors.
>
> I can't find the reference right now, but IIRC we've discussed this
> during the init system coupling GR and I don't think it's possible: you
> are DPL, if you introduce an amendment, it's automatically accepted. I
> don't remember if the Secretary acknowledged that interpretation, but
> reading of §4.2.1 doesn't seem to leave much room for interpretation.
> So you could either ask someone else to propose the amendment, or gather
> seconds informally yourself and only propose the amendment when you've
> received K of them.

According to <20141017174252.GB10521@roeckx.be>, I think it's possible.
But maybe the Secretary can clarify.

Lucas