Re: Last minute discussion

Hi.
thanks for your input.

For myself, I definitely appreciate the contributions of all the parties
you mentioned, and appreciate your reminder that Debian is a very large
community.
One important category you didn't mention is all our wonderful upstreams
who have given us this great software to serve as a basis for our
distribution.

I also agree that as DDs we need to think about what's best for the
project and that we have a role to evaluate that on a number of levels.

For myself, I'll consider a number of questions when deciding:

* The technical issues; what will the effects of the options be?

* What's best for our users (per social contract)

* what's best for the free software community (again per social
  contract)

* How political should the project be?  To what extent should political
  factors be involved in making technical decisions within the project?
  That is a specific example of something to be considered in terms of
  the needs of our users and the free software community.

* What will the social affects  of the resolution be?

I hope through this process we can build a strong community where people
can respect disagreement and work together even when they hold different
opinions.  No matter what we decide, several members of our community
will be disappointed.  We need to work together with respect and
compassion and work with those who agree with us as well as those who do
not.  Perhaps some will leave Debian and focus their efforts in other
areas.  that's OK; people should find where their heart is.  Even so, we
will all have to work together in the broader free software community.
So, I'm hoping that even if people do leave the project over this, those
who leave and those who who stay will treat the others with compassion
and respect.  We'll still be working together in upstreams, derivatives,
and other parts of the broader community.

--Sam