Re: Tentative summary of the amendments

Quoting Josh Triplett (2014-10-24 16:27:27)
> Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>> On 24 October 2014 13:33, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:
>>> I don't like some software too, but am sometimes required to use it
>>> without an alternative. Can I demand that I can use packages without
>>> said software? Like demanding libraries having to provide language
>>> bindings for at least two languages so I don't have to use PHP[1]?
>>> :)
>> Init system is special because there can be only one active in the
>> system. If app1 depends on systemd (as PID 1) and app2 depends on
>> runit (as PID 1) then it becomes impossible to use both apps (without
>> changing init system and rebooting). Also IMHO init system should be
>> a user choice and not dictated by other, unrelated, software.
>
> Kernels are special because there can be only one active in the
> system. If app1 depends on Linux and app2 depends on FreeBSD, then it
> becomes impossible to use both apps (without changing kernels and
> rebooting).

Can you provide any concrete examples of that actually being an issue?

Reason for this GR is concrete examples (thankfully believed solved by
now) of it actually being an issue regarding init systems.

> And yet we don't stop applications from declaring "Architecture:
> linux-any".  And the world has not ended.  People who maintain
> non-Linux kernels have a substantial amount of work to do, and I find
> it very impressive how much they've gotten working.  Yet nobody has
> proposed a GR forcing support for kFreeBSD or the Hurd; the people
> working on them have simply *done the work*, and in some cases
> successfully convinced others to do the same.

We do strongly discourage that, as codified in Debian Policy §5.6.8:

> Specifying a list of architectures or architecture wildcards other
> than `any' is for the minority of cases where a program is not
> portable or is not useful on some architectures.  Where possible, the
> program should be made portable instead.

Notice the "should" near the end of above.

Do you consider init 1 more similar to kernel or more similar to PHP?

 - Jonas