Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Joey Hess writes ("Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems"):
> Ian Jackson wrote:
> > The technical committee
> > decided not to decide about the question of "coupling" i.e. whether
> > other packages in Debian may depend on a particular init system.
>
> What, then was #746715?

It was non-binding advice asking maintainers to accept reasonable
patches.  IMO it does not answer the question addressed by my GR.

> >   This resolution is a Position Statement about Issues of the Day
> >   (Constitution 4.1.5), triggering the General Resolution override
> >   clause in the TC's resolution of the 11th of February.
>
> How can you use 4.1.5, which is "Issue, supersede and withdraw
> **nontechnical** policy documents and statements" (emphasis mine)
> for a technical decision like this? Why does this not come under 4.1.4,
> and so require a 2:1 majority?

I think that this coupling question is actually mostly a political
rather than a technical problem.  The TC explicitly decided to allow
their init system decision to be amended or supplemented by a 1:1 GR
and it would be wrong to subvert that.

Ian.