Re: Alternative proposal: support for alternative init systems is desirable but not mandatory

+1 keep `sysvint-core` in Debian at a reliable level, is a wise thing to do. For at least, 2018~2020.

On 19 October 2014 18:40, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
Quoting Nikolaus Rath (2014-10-19 20:16:37)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
>> Quoting David Weinehall (2014-10-19 16:13:18)
>>> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 02:28:02PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> OK, so packaging uselessd (thus providing another init system that
>>> provides -- most of -- the systemd interfaces) would solve all your
>>> worries?
>>
>> There are many ways to twist words, yes.
>
> I think this deserves a better answer.
>
> Do you consider uselessd to be the same init system as systemd? To me
> this looks like a legitimate fork.
>
> Or are you saying that "at least one" is really meant to mean "at least
> one not-systemd derived"?

My concern is not systemd specifically - on the contrary I find it great
if it brings more choice to Debian, which seems to be the status
currently.

My concern is also not the risk that Debian could be locked into "only
two" or "only three" init systems - I believe we need not deal with that
until the risk of such scenario eventually becomes realistic - if we
then concider such scenario a concern.

My concern now is to ensure that Debian supports more than a single init
system.

I sincerely hope that I made myself more clear this time, and that you
found my response adequate and we can move on.

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private