Re: Alternative proposal: support for alternative init systems is desirable but not mandatory

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
> Quoting Nikolaus Rath (2014-10-19 20:16:37)
>> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
>>> Quoting David Weinehall (2014-10-19 16:13:18)

>>> There are many ways to twist words, yes.
>>
>> I think this deserves a better answer.
>>
>> Do you consider uselessd to be the same init system as systemd? To me
>> this looks like a legitimate fork.
>>
>> Or are you saying that "at least one" is really meant to mean "at least
>> one not-systemd derived"?
>
> My concern is not systemd specifically - on the contrary I find it great
> if it brings more choice to Debian, which seems to be the status
> currently.
>
> My concern is also not the risk that Debian could be locked into "only
> two" or "only three" init systems - I believe we need not deal with that
> until the risk of such scenario eventually becomes realistic - if we
> then concider such scenario a concern.
>
> My concern now is to ensure that Debian supports more than a single init
> system.
>
> I sincerely hope that I made myself more clear this time, and that you
> found my response adequate and we can move on.

Not really, I'm afraid (although you're of course free to move on). I am
still wondering, if Debian would support only uselessd and systemd,
would you consider that "more than one init system" or not? And if not,
why not?

Best,
-Nikolaus