Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On 17 October 2014 20:07, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum writes ("Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems"):
>> If you agree that this is only a matter of general technical policy, and
>> that the current state of jessie matches what you would like to see
>> after your proposal, couldn't we just agree to withdraw both proposals
>> now, and discuss what to do for jessie+1 later?
>>
>> If someone makes changes to dependencies between their packages and init
>> systems that break this statu quo in jessie, you could still reintroduce
>> your GR proposal during the freeze. But I think that this threat would
>> be enough to maintain statu quo until we release (also, it is unlikely
>> that the release team would allow such changes to be introduced during
>> the freeze).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I can see why that is tempting.
>
> But this resolution is not only important within Debian, and not only
> for jessie.
>
> It is also important feedback for upstreams, and our peer distros and
> downstreams.  At the moment there is a prevailing rhetoric that
> systemd is inevitable and everyone will (have to) be using it.

What if (purely hypothetically) there was a public announcement from,
say, release team that they consider it a RC bug if packages do not
work with sysvinit as PID 1 in jessie both for stable upgrades and to
maintain ability to switch init systems. And that after jessie release
there will be a discussion and a GR to determine what severity such
bugs would have for further Debian releases.

Could that be enough to drop the current GRs?

I *think* that particular statement we can all agree on. This would
send a clear message to upstreams right now with another reminder
later on. And it would postpone the controversial bit past the
release.
--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org