Re: Alternative proposal: reaffirm maintainers technical competence over the software they maintain

On 18/10/14 at 12:21 +0200, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> 2. Specific init systems as PID 1
>
>   Debian packages may require a specific init system to be executed
>   as PID 1 if their maintainers consider this a requisite for its proper
>   operation by clearly mark this in package descriptions and/or
>   by adding dependencies in order to enforce this; and no patches
>   or other derived works exist in order to support other init systems
>   in such a way to render software usable to the same extent.

I think that it would be interesting to frame this statement in the
context of the existence of a default init system. It would then either
mean:

1) packages may require the default init system if:
- their maintainer consider this a prerequisite for its proper operation
- no patches or other derived works exist in order to support other init
  systems

2) packages may require an init system other than the default init
system if:
- their maintainer consider this a prerequisite for its proper operation
- no patches or other derived works exist in order to support other init
  systems, including the default init system

These two cases are very different. I would personally probably vote (1)
above FD, but (2) far below FD. I think that it should be a requirement
for packages in Debian to support the default init system at least in a
degraded mode, except for very specific packages (see Ian's or my
proposal for exceptions). (2) could lead to fragmentation in the
services/init systems available in Debian, because it would no longer be
the maintainers' responsibility to ensure that all packages work with
the same init system.

Could you clarify if (2) is really a loophole in the current
formulation, or something that you consider acceptable?

Lucas