Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On 10/17/2014 03:09 AM, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 22:00 +0300, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>> We have all kinds of policies about what is fine in a package and what
>> is a Release Critical bug. That is a big part of what makes a
>> distribution. This simply adds - "must be able to work with any init
>> system running at PID 1" to those requirements.
>
> Strictly speaking, "what is a Release Critical bug" is the release
> team's purview, as per their delegation. (Of course, subject to being
> overriden by the project as with any other delegate.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

And therefore, having this GR now shouldn't be a problem.

To me, it's perfectly fine to decide now that we don't want tight
coupling with systemd (and therefore, try to fix these issues when we
can), as long as we also decide that it's not going to delay the
release. And since it's the release team who has the decision power, I
can only see it happening the correct way.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)