Re: Alternative proposal (+call for seconds): Expire 2-R members every year

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 02:37:30PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> The TC might be temporarily weakened by having more young members;

While this is conceivable, I don't think it's even remotely likely in
practice -- there is a huge pool of brilliant people in Debian to draw
from, and the work undertaken by the tech ctte is not so different from
everything else in Debian that ctte newbies will be starting from scratch.

Likewise, past members of the ctte can still stick their noses in
(wanted or not), and the ctte can always informally invite people to
help out either for the sake of the help itself, or as a way of helping
people get experience in the role -- much like the DPL, the secretary,
ftpmaster, release team and DSA already have helpers and assistants [0].

I'm all for planning against all contingencies, I just think it's
important to recognise that, for Debian, worries about appointing novices
to the technical ctte are at the far end of hypothetical. Even if only
to remind the next batch of recruits that they're expected to be hitting
the same [1] standards of good judgement and whatnot as current and past
ctte members from day one of joining.

Cheers,
aj

[0] Multiple teams in Debian have "assistant" positions, and none of
    them are called "minions"? Really? No "leader's lackeys", "DSA goon
    squad", or "ftpmaster flunkies"? Total missed opportunity.

[1] (or better)