Re: userspace virtual terminals

Hi,

Marco d'Itri:
> >... which is the result if one has one's eyes tightly shut.  User space
> >replacements for Linux and BSD kernel virtual terminals have already
> >existed, and been written, for years.  There's a whole non-Anglophone
> I am not an expert of this issue, but I think it is fair to assume that
> if they have not replaced yet the current kernel console,
> notwithstanding the frequent requests for a replacement by kernel
> developers, then they probably are not the right tool for this and we
> still need one.

While kernel developers have asked for replacements, there has been no
concrete threat of deprecating any kernel features, which would guide
(a) the authors of such tools what they still need to implement, and
(b) distributions on what to experimentally disable in their kernels
so that all of this can be tested.

So, the first step would probably be to ask on LKML.
--
-- Matthias Urlichs