Re: two questions: fund raising money and publicity

Hi Gunnar,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:55:35PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> So, back to the case: What's your take on this issue? How much can one
> part of the Debian universe of subprojects expect the money it
> generated be available for its future? Should we set a clear number?

On the specific case, I remember when I wound up the accounts for
DebConf 7 that the surplus was earmarked as a donation to DebConf 8.
More specifically, there was a Debian seed fund of 10k USD to help with
the cash flow and then 8k GBP which was transferred to Argentina.
This then continued with 18k USD being sent to Spain, 53k EUR to New
York, and then 19k USD to Bosnia and Herzegovina.

However, although I think that it's Debian's money, not DebConf's money,
we need to remember what the sponsorship was donated for. We should also
be clear about what may be expected to be a structural deficit, and what
is a cash-flow problem.

In general, I think that excess should be returned to Debian as the
holding organisation, but that Debian should be willing to help ensure
that sub-projects can draw on Debianfunds if needed, and it is sensible
to do so.

Neil