Re: The Code of Conduct needs specifics

----- "Russ Allbery" <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> I think this is a mistake.
>
> The experiences of other groups have mostly convinced me that the
> point of
> a Code of Conduct should be to scare away potential contributors who
> cannot or are unwilling to behave according to the standards that we
> expect of our community, and to reassure the people who would be
> injured
> by violations of those standards that we're serious about declaring
> those
> people unwelcome in our project.  Not welcoming them and attempting
> quietly encourage them to become better people (which doesn't work).

I agree with Russ. I also think that specificity avoids a perception
of people who run astray of the CoC to claim that they have been
targeted by "The Cabal". The legend that there is a secret inner core
of Debian members that controls things and plays favorites is almost
as long-running as Debian's reputation for being inhospitable
and unfriendly. I don't think its a perception that we want to
encourage.

Would it be possible for us to give a rich set of examples while,
at the same time, stating clearly that they constitute a
guideline and that final decisions are left to the listmasters? If
it does turn out, eventually, we have someone in a position of
authority who is repeatedly arbitrary then these examples would
help speak to them about how they should conduct themselves.