Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Ian Jackson writes:
> What my TC text, as adopted in Matthew's proposal, does is to answer
> the question: what happens if the work is not done ?

When you assume the work is not done then there will be packages
which do not support all init systems and depend (directly or
indirectly) on certain of them. These packages will have to be
dropped from the repository (or not to be included into it) when
this proposal is accepted.

Now lets see how this affects Debian users with different init
systems.

Users of the least supported init system will have the same
number of installable packages for their system, with or without
this proposal. Packages which depend on other init systems will
either not be installable with their init system (because of the
dependencies) or are not part of the repository anymore, when the
proposal is accepted.

Users of any other non-default init system will have (slightly)
more installable packages without this proposal, as there may be
some packages which support their init system, but do not support
all init systems and therefore have to be dropped from the
repository when the proposal is accepted.

Users of the default init system will have more installable
packages without this proposal as most packages should support
the default init system and packages which do support the default
init system, but not all of the others, will have to be dropped
when the proposal is accepted.

As a summary, when you assume the work is not done, none of the
users of different init systems will benefit from this proposal.
None of them will have more packages to select from.

The only way somebody may benefit from this proposal is when you
assume the work gets done, done by people who otherwise would not
be interested to do the work (for people who would do the work
voluntarily this proposal is not needed).

> It answers this question: Suppose the work is not done.  Ultimately
> then we would have to drop either (a) GNOME or (b) non-systemd init
> systems, and non-Linux kernels.

You are only forced to drop one of them when the proposal gets
accepted, otherwise they can coexist in the repository.

Uwe