Re: GR: Selecting the default init system for Debian

]] Daniel Pocock

> E.g. if we choose systemd, who will implement all the things that need
> to be changed outside the Gnome related packages?  What will immediately
> fail if not adapted to systemd?

In general, nothing should fail.  sysvinit scripts are first class
citizens in the systemd world and you can have native → sysv → native
dependencies.

There are some bugs, both in systemd and in init script (such as
cycles), but in general this hasn't been a big problem so far.

I believe that the ease of maintenance and the ability to do more with
native systemd units (private /tmp, network namespacing, etc) will make
it interesting for maintainers to move towards native units by
themselves, but there's no flag day involved for a switch-over.

So, I'm not sure what you mean by «all the things that need to be
changed outside the GNOME related packages».  If you have any particular
things in mind, please feel to enumerate them and I'll answer to the
best of my ability.

--
Tollef Fog Heen