Re: to DPL candidates: getting new people to Debian

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> Gergely Nagy dijo [Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 01:32:32PM +0100]:
>> Debian is also not impressively different, so to say. We have a distinct
>> culture, we have great technical solutions, but those are hardly enough
>> to impress someone who just casually looks. We need to reach out and
>> show them that there is much more under the hood than they may imagine,
>> that we can, and we do provide something unique.
>>
>> And we need to impress them. That's a very, very hard thing to do, and
>> something that we'll need lots of help to accomplish, and not
>> necessarily from technical folk. (Which is why one of my primary aims is
>> to reach and and recruit non-technical contributors to Debian.)
>
> How would you suggest "impressing" them? A new, shiny user interface
> is not what it takes, or at least, not all it takes. We have packaged
> *great* user interfaces for a very long time. Even other Linux
> distributions, aimed at the desktop, have given a lot of extra shine
> and polish to their UIs, someof them (i.e. our derivative Ubuntu)
> developing completely new frameworks, targetted IMO to touch-devices,
> which are all the rage now. And I still cannot say it impresses or
> dazzles newcomers.

It's not the UIs I would focus on - everyone is doing that, and it's
never going to be really impressing, in my opinion. Impressing anyone
with technical gizmos is hard, and most often, only possible when
they were interested anyway. We're not going to reach too many people
that way.

How we can reach a lot more - see the end of my previous mail. The
stories we can tell, the achievements we can show, our entire culture is
something that noone else can show. These are *very* impressive things,
we should be proud of them, and we should use them as part of our
recruitment too.