Re: [all candidates] Return to the desert island (cont.)

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 02:07:40AM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:39:29PM +0100, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> >> 3. One test I've been taught to use to reason about free software is the
> >>    Desert Island test [2] which starts by:

> >>      Imagine a castaway on a desert island with a solar-powered
> >>      computer.

> >>   Obviously, software that are only frontends to unreproducible “cloud”
> >>   services do not pass the desert island test.

> > This is a mischaracterization of the "Desert Island test" as it was
> > formulated on debian-legal.  The Desert Island test is about whether a user
> > can *comply with the license* of the software on a desert island when they
> > have no contact with the outside world.  That the software may not be
> > *useful* to them on a desert island is a separate question, and applies to
> > many sorts of software, not just those used for connecting to particular
> > services over the Internet.

> Then again, this is a misinterpretation of the fundamental question
> Jeremy has attempted to pose.

I am only addressing the factually incorrect interpretation of the Desert
Island test, because such inaccuracies, if allowed to stand uncorrected,
have a nasty habit of spreading.

So no, I did not misinterpret his question - but as I am not a candidate, my
thoughts on that question are out of scope for this discussion.