Re: Your opinion on Debian Maintainer status

Hi Gergely,

On 17-03-13 02:02, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> writes:
>> In fact, even the wiki says "Becoming a Debian Developer: You should be
>> a Debian Maintainer for six months before applying to the Debian New
>> Member Process" [1]. That's somewhat different to the original idea of
>> the DM status and not really a direction we should endorse.
> Thank you, for reminding me of that. I haven't looked at that page since
> I re-applied, and almost forgot those words. We really should reconsider
> that paragraph, and preferably kill it with fire (post-wheezy, of
> course).

As someone who supports that policy (in the general case), can you
elaborate on this? Why do you think it is such a bad thing?

Note that, first, the NM frontdesk has always been willing to fast-track
someone who is "obviously" skilled (with "obviously" being vague on
purpose) and, second, that the DM step is not required for emeritus
developers returning to Debian.

Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy
requires you to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once,
add a voucher, and save on postage.