Re: Draft GR: Simplification of license and copyright requirements for the Debian packages.

Le Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:42:07AM +0000, MJ Ray a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>
H> > Le Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:56:36PM +0000, MJ Ray a écrit :
> > > Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>
> > >
> > > Wow, that's a twist.  So how do you get around the idea that the
> > > program must include source?
> >
> > in my opinion, if a file contained in a Debian source package has no function
> > in the Debian system, if its removal has actually no effect on the system at
> > all, then it is reasonable to declare that it is not part of the Debian system.
>
> In other words, just blatently ignore the bit of the DFSG that says
> that programs must include source.  Well, that explains it :-/

Yes, exactly. In this draft GR I propose to ignore some DFSG-non-free files,
which includes sourceless files. Our social contract only stipulates that the
Debian sytstem must be DFSG-free. We already have a non-free section for the
non-free works that we would like to distribute for the purpose of being used
with the our operating system. I think that our social contract also allow us
to distribute innert non-free files together with the source of the Debian
system as long as they do not take part of it.

Doing this on purpose would of course be a big hypocrisy. We could mention in
the GR that it is not acceptable to repack an upstream tarball for adding a
non-free file, nor to include some in the debian diff or tarball component of
the source package, nor for Debian to distribute its own developments as source
packages containing non-free files since we have to show the way (note that not
all packages in native format are Debian developments).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan