split devotee in two part?

Hello,

I wonder if it would be useful to split the devotee system in two
parts and reuse an existing solver for the vote.

The OpenSTV package provides a way to vote and find the winner for
several election methods, including the condorcet vote with schwartz
method
(http://www.openstv.org/condorcet-voting). OpenSTV provides his own
interface to vote (a GUI client). I think that the users will prefer
to use the email voting method so I think a design like:
- the receiver code from devotee, saving all the choices in a file, database,...
- the solver code based on openSTV. OpenSTV provides python modules to
solve the election so it needs 'only' glue to read the data and pass
it properly to openstv's solver.

Improvments:
- splitted code should become easier to maintain
- openSTV is used by other organisations so I think it has a lower
probability to be buggy.

Risks:
- I read at http://seehuhn.de/pages/vote that the debian version is a
modified version of schwartz so it could lead the idea directly to
trash.
- I didn't find the source code of devotee (seems that it was never
included in main) so I don't know if it's easy to split it.
- If devotee is in Perl, the global solution will b written in two
languages: first part in Perl, seconde one in Python.

(I didn't find better mailing-list, Ihope it was the good one.)

--
Imprimez ce message en A2 et en couleur au moins 500 fois!
Brûlez des arbres!!

-- envoyé depuis ma centrale à charbon
Stéphane