Re: GR: welcome non-packaging contributors as Debian project members

Re: Lars Wirzenius 2010-09-14 <[🔎] 1284461384.2573.26.camel@havelock>
> I do not like the introduction of yet another class of person developing
> Debian. I propose we call everyone with voting rights in Debian a
> "Debian Developer" (development not being restricted to coding and
> packaging).

We are calling everyone "Debian Developer" (cf. the constitution). DCs
are a subset of DDs. We realize that we probably need a handy
expression for "DD with upload rights" [1], but we don't have one yet.
(Ideas?)

[1] <a> I'm a DM, will you sponsor my new package?
    <b> no, I'm a DC
    <c> yes, I can, I'm a DD with upload rights but that doesn't have
        a catchy name yet

> Voting, not uploads, being the fundamental right of a member
> of the project, and the most important reward we can give for someone
> who works for Debian.

I see "membership" as such more important. Lately, there's only been
the DPL votes and few GRs. The thing people care about is being part
of the project, as an acknowledgement for the work they are doing (and
all the fame and glory of @debian.org addresses). Anyway, both are
implemented here.

> I also feel we don't need to implement a technical barrier against
> uploading. I don't think technical skills are the relevant thing when it
> comes to deciding whether someone should be allowed to upload or not.
> The important thing is whether we trust them or not. If we don't trust
> them, they shouldn't be any kind of member in the project. If we do, we
> should trust them to not intentionally make a mess. Mistakes are not
> that important: everyone makes mistakes, and we need to be able to
> recover from them anyway. But this is perhaps a bit radical of an
> opinion in Debian right now.

I do agree with the idea, but it opens up gray areas. There will be
DCs who maintain some (maybe documentation-only?) packages, and will
become DM for these. With the no-difference idea, it is unclear where
the line to "classic DD" is. And voila, you end up being a fully
uploading DD who has skipped T&S in the NM process.

It's probably possible to do, but it has to be well-thought. Making
T&S a formal (and technical) prerequisite to the "uploading" part cuts
a clear line.

> (I was under the impression there was a hypothetical path to becoming a
> DD for people who do not want to do packaging work. I am sure I heard
> someone say they had gone through that path years ago, but perhaps I
> remember wrongly.)

See cate's mail.

Christoph
--