Re: Question to all Candidates: we want more, aren't we?

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:57 AM, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:

> Debian project raise it's expectation every year: higher quality, more
> package, more architectures, more Desktops, etc... (cool).
>
> How do we face the challenge to do more every year?

There are two important things involved: improve our way of working
with tools that make it easier to maintain and improve the quality of
our packages, and get more people to help us do our jobs.

> What would you do about it, as a DPL?

As I've already said, I will focus a lot on tying to get more people
to help Debian, not necessarily through becoming Debian Developers. By
being more welcoming towards the help of non-DD contributors, we could
recruit the help of more people, thus reducing the current workload on
the developers.

One important example is fixing bugs.  Developers spend quite a lot of
time fixing bugs, and most of the time you don't need to be a DD to
fix those bugs, anybody can help out fixing more bugs.

Another example is the non-code parts of Debian, like documentation or
artwork. Most developers don't have enough time for, or maybe just
don't care enough about, these areas; we could definitely use the help
of people that are not so code-oriented in order to improve the
overall Debian experience.

In general, the only way to keep up is to recruit more people, and I
plan to work on that.

--
Besos,
Marga